Health Care Providers
Resources for Health Care providers
- Stanford School of Medicine: Domestic Abuse
Provides practical how-to information for health-care professionals including screening tools, information on referring patients, California reporting law, and other resources.
- LEAP: Look to End Abuse Permanently
Provides materials for both health care providers and patients including training materials, such as podcasts and videos, screening tools, brochures for pregnant women and informational materials for display in providers’ clinics.
- Current Management of Domestic Violence: Responding to Intimate Partner Violence (IPV)
Online training on screening, recognizing patterns of abuse, assessing IPV victims’ safety, reporting and referring IPV victims, recognizing and supporting patients’ readiness to change their violent situation.
- Futures Without Violence: Health
Provides information on health care public policy related to domestic violence, and materials and web resources for health care providers.
- Hanging Out or Hooking Up: Clinical Guidelines on Responding to Adolescent Relationship Abuse from Futures Without Violence
Handouts for Health Care Providers
Overview of Intimate Partner Violence
- Guiding Principles for Improving Health Care Response to Domestic Violence (pdf)
- Medical Power and Control Wheel (pdf)
- Empowerment Power and Control Wheel (pdf)
- Definition of Cultural Competency (pdf)
- Mandatory Reporting and Domestic Violence (pdf)
*Please see What is Relationship Abuse for additional information on types of abuse, children and dynamics of relationship abuse.
Screening Tools and Mandatory Reporting
- Screening for Intimate Partner Violence in the Primary Care, OB/GYN, Pediatric and Mental Health Settings (pdf)
- Domestic Violence Screening Tips (pdf)
- Screening and Interviewing Strategies for Intimate Partner Violence (pdf)
- Red Flags (pdf)
Documentation, Assessment, Safety Planning
Safety Planning and Resources
- Safety Planning with Domestic Violence Victims (pdf)
- How to Begin Safety Planning (pdf)
- Safety Plan and Discharge Instructions (pdf)
- Local Resources (pdf)